“An FM industry heavyweight” FMJ
Julie Kortens has been providing people-oriented leadership and direction at a senior level in corporate real estate, business and the media for decades.
She served as the 12th Chairman of the British Institute of Facilities Management (BIFM), before stepping down in December 2016, is an Honorary Fellow of the BIFM (now IWFM), and has experience as a non-executive director and a pension trustee.
In 2019, Julie won PFM’s Lifetime Achievement Award and became Chair of Judges for the IWFM Awards.
Julie’s experience spans many areas, including:
- Leading a multi-million-pound refurbishment project to transform Channel 4’s headquarters building in central London from a technical transmission centre to a multi-functional, creative and collaborative hub.
- Downsizing property portfolios, reducing budgets and leading strategic staff engagement projects in order to implement cultural change.
- Leading initiatives to outsource business critical services, including the associated impact on staff and stakeholders across the business. Involving extensive staff liaison, formal redundancy programmes and TUPE transfers.
- Project managing business-wide procurement initiatives with significant cost savings and improved governance and SRM. Also sponsored the introduction of a contract management system and procurement training framework.
- Leading and devising staff engagement initiatives including internal communications programmes, staff surveys, focus groups and corporate responsibility projects.
- Leading a project to transform the constitution, governance and committee structure of professional body BIFM (now IWFM), including the composition of and routes to Board membership.
Julie left the corporate world in 2016 to establish her own business, Konnected People, which focuses on professional mentoring, coaching and facilitation, offering support to teams, executive boards and individuals. Working with empathy and compassion, she draws on her unrivalled depth and breadth of experience and knowledge to help individuals, leaders, teams and businesses fulfil their potential and be the best they can be. She is also a founding director of the Mentoring Business.
Julie is a Non-Executive Director with Intu Retail Services and also sits on the FM RE-Procurement Board of Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Services (HMCTS). She is an independent member of both the Group Risk & Compliance and the Group Remuneration & Nominations Committee with Aster Group. She’s also a Chartered Fellow the CIPD and has an MA in Employment Strategy.
She is authentic and honest and she doesn’t pretend to be someone she’s not. What you see is what you get. She even supports Leeds United FC… and isn’t afraid to admit it.
A true inspiration. Not only has her stewardship of the BIFM (now IWFM) as Chairman been a benchmark for good governance and clear leadership, she has worked tirelessly to professionalise the industry and support others to do the same.